Aso Rock to go fully solar by March 2026, exit national power grid

Download Post

The Aso Presidential Villa, Abuja, is set to be disconnected from the national electricity grid by March 2026 as work on its solar mini-grid project enters the final phase.

The State House Permanent Secretary, Temitope Fashedemi, disclosed this on Wednesday while defending the 2026 budget proposal before the Senate Committee on Special Duties at the National Assembly.

Fashedemi explained that installation of the Villa’s solar power infrastructure was completed toward the end of 2025 and has been undergoing technical testing since December. He expressed confidence that the transition to full solar power would be achieved within the first quarter of 2026.

According to him, the move is expected to significantly cut government spending on electricity and reduce reliance on the national grid.

To underscore the project’s viability, Fashedemi cited the State House Medical Centre, which was connected to solar power in May 2025. He said the facility has since operated largely off-grid, without the use of generators and with only minimal supply from the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC).

The Permanent Secretary noted that the medical centre now relies mainly on solar energy supported by battery storage, describing the outcome as clear evidence that the wider Aso Villa solar project is workable.

The Federal Government had allocated N10 billion in the 2025 budget for the “Solarisation of the Villa with Solar Mini Grid,” a decision that generated public debate. Critics argued that powering the seat of government with solar energy signalled a lack of confidence in ongoing efforts to stabilise Nigeria’s electricity sector.

In the 2026 Appropriation Bill, an additional N7 billion has been proposed to complete the project.

Government officials, however, have defended the initiative. The Director-General of the Energy Commission of Nigeria, Mustapha Abdullahi, had earlier described continued dependence on conventional power at the Villa as financially unsustainable, estimating its annual electricity cost at about N47 billion. Presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga also referenced the White House’s use of renewable energy as a global example.

Before the solar project, the State House accumulated substantial electricity debts. In February 2024, AEDC listed the Villa among major government debtors, initially putting the outstanding bill at N923.87 million. After reconciliation, the figure was reduced to N342.35 million, which President Bola Tinubu later directed to be settled.

Fashedemi further revealed that tests conducted during the solar installation exposed instances of alleged overbilling by AEDC, including charges for power not supplied. He said talks were ongoing to resolve what he described as legacy liabilities.

With the planned switch to solar power, the Villa’s ageing generators may become largely redundant. Fashedemi said although service providers had recommended replacing them due to wear and tear, the success of the solar system could make such expenditure unnecessary, except for retaining a few units for emergency backup.

Meanwhile, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Special Duties, Senator Kaka Lawan (Borno Central), criticised the N127 million earmarked for sport utility vehicles in the State House budget proposal, describing it as inadequate.

He argued that the amount would not cover the cost of even one bulletproof vehicle and cautioned against a situation where visiting dignitaries would be transported in fairly used cars. The committee subsequently directed the Budget Office of the Federation to review the allocation.

Lawan also commended the State House for promptly appearing before the committee to defend its budget estimates, describing the action as exemplary for other ministries, departments and agencies.