El-Rufai Freed by EFCC, Immediately Rearrested and Detained by ICPC

Download Post

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has been taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), shortly after regaining freedom from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

El-Rufai, who had spent about 48 hours in EFCC custody, was rearrested on Wednesday night after being granted bail by the anti-graft agency and subsequently transferred to the ICPC for further investigation.

Earlier reports had suggested that operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) had arrested the former governor and filed criminal charges against him during his time at the EFCC.

The DSS had accused El-Rufai of involvement in the alleged interception of the telephone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

However, the ICPC later clarified that El-Rufai was in its custody. In a statement issued by its Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey, the commission confirmed the development.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, the former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as at close of work today, Wednesday, the 18th day of February, 2026,” the statement said, adding that his detention was in connection with ongoing investigations.

The ICPC did not disclose the specific nature of the investigation.

It would be recalled that security operatives had last Thursday attempted to arrest El-Rufai at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on his return from Cairo, Egypt.

Speaking earlier on a programme on ARISE Television, El-Rufai alleged that the ICPC, acting on the directive of the National Security Adviser, had instructed the DSS to arrest him.

He claimed that the allegation stemmed from his assertion that the phone lines of Ribadu were tapped, adding that he had knowledge of what the NSA said during a private conversation.

Following this, the DSS filed a three-count charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 against the former governor at the Federal High Court, accusing him of offences under the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

El-Rufai, who governed Kaduna State between 2015 and 2023, has also faced allegations of financial impropriety, which he has consistently denied.

In 2024, the Kaduna State House of Assembly indicted him over alleged diversion of N423 billion in public funds and money laundering, calling on anti-graft agencies to investigate the claims. El-Rufai subsequently challenged the indictment in court, accusing the lawmakers of attempting to tarnish his reputation.